The activities are focused on the following:
- developing a draft stakeholder involvement strategy;
- holding stakeholder meetings on the national level to discuss and provide input into the strategy development, as well as to the overall process;
- conducting capacity-building workshops aimed at promoting efficient stakeholder involvement and developing a stakeholder engagement strategy for the Sava Commission;
submitting the finalised Draft Public Communication and Stakeholder Strategy (50-KByte MS DOC in ZIP Archive) and Draft Implementation Workplan (100-KByte MS DOC) to the Sava Commission; and
- publishing and disseminating useful information to ensure effective and informed involvement.
The activities are built on the results of a previously implemented project in 2003 (funded by the USEPA), which included national surveys on stakeholder identification, and national and regional workshops to discuss these surveys in order to make proposals for a future stakeholder involvement strategy.
Achievements and Progress
Public Communication and Stakeholder Strategy
The draft stakeholder strategy was drafted in September 2004 by the
REC and was discussed in all four Sava countries in stakeholder consultation
meetings. The document, Draft
Public Communication and Stakeholder Strategy (50-KByte MS DOC in
ZIP Archive) was finalised after the meetings based on the comments.
Communication and Stakeholder Strategy Implementation Workplan (100-KByte
MS DOC) was also prepared and will be submitted to the Sava Commission
together with the Strategy.
Stakeholder consultation meetings
Four half-day stakeholder consultations were organised by the REC and REC country offices during October and November 2004 in all Sava countries.
The main aims of the stakeholder consultations were:
- to present the draft stakeholder involvement strategy; and
- to discuss the draft for feedback and comments from the relevant stakeholders in order to prepare the finalised version for submission to the Sava Commission for further use.
Participants were invited from the relevant ministries, agencies, institutions, local municipalities, the business sector and the NGOs community. Each consultation was attended by 15-27 participants.
Capacity building workshops
Three capacity-building workshops for the stakeholders of four countries took place during November 2004 promoting efficient stakeholder involvement and finalising discussions on the stakeholder involvement strategy. The workshops organised by the REC and its country offices brought together participants from Serbia and Montenegro and Bosnia and Herzegovina on November 22-23, in Tara, Serbia and Montenegro. Participants from Croatia and Bosnia and Herzegovina met on November 25-26 in Topusko, Croatia, and participants from Slovenia in the town of Ig on November 29-30.
The main aims of the capacity-building workshops were:
- to provide required knowledge and tools on public participation for representatives of stakeholders who are involved in the implementation of the Sava River Agreement and are in a position to involve other authorities into the process;
- to draft action plans for implementation of the Sava Agreement; and
- to elaborate on a communication plan related to Sava River issues.
Participants were invited from relevant ministries, agencies, institutions, local municipalities, the business sector and the NGOs community. Each workshop was attended by 22-25 participants.
Informing stakeholders about the Sava process
National language publications were prepared and disseminated in each Sava country about the Sava Agreement, the activities by the Interim Commission, and ongoing and upcoming events. A functional website was prepared providing information and materials about the Sava River Basin Initiatives and the project activities.
Please see leaflets from:
See further information about the project activities
in English and
in local languages in BiH, Croatia, Serbia
and Montenegro, and Slovenia.
- Preparing draft Stakeholder Involvement Strategy
- Preparing comments on the Draft Rules of Procedure
- Preparations for National Stakeholder Consultations on the Draft Stakeholder Involvement Strategy
- Organisation of national stakeholder consultations
- Three capacity-building workshops for the stakeholders of four countries promoting efficient stakeholder involvement and finalising discussions on stakeholder involvement strategy
- Summary of recommendations by stakeholders and finalisation of the stakeholder involvement strategy, including implementation plan for stakeholder involvement and communication
- Preparation and dissemination of publications, information materials
Submission of the finalised Draft Public Communication and Stakeholder Strategy and Draft Communication and Stakeholder Strategy Implementation Workplan to the Sava Commission.